Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Grinch didn't steal Christmas!

“He hadn’t stopped Christmas from coming! It came! Somehow or other it came just the same.” –How the Grinch Stole Christmas

For those of you who know me well, or just know me at all, you’ll know I’m just an overgrown Christmas elf a little too far south of the North Pole. That said, this elf was a little worried about how holiday season, and Christmas in particular, would go this year. I’d never spent Thanksgiving or Christmas away from home and I’m very attached to our family traditions of gathering together for Thanksgiving, cutting down the Christmas tree that same weekend, and decorating like mad for weeks afterwards. I also love all the time you can devote to family and friends at Christmas- it’s a great chance to celebrate the important things in life. So, understandably, I was nervous about what this year would be like with no Christmas tree trek, getting to drink Dad’s REALLY good Russian Tea (ask him to make it for you next winter) or getting a chance to catch up with friends over coffee at Summit. What would the holidays be like without Christmas in Davidson or the Christmas Eve service at DCPC?

I’m happy to report that Christmas comes to Belfast just as joyfully and expectantly as it does in Davidson, in Raleigh, in North Carolina, and I imagine anywhere else you’d find yourself on December 25. The Campbells, a generous family from Dundonald Methodist, invited me to spend Christmas Eve at their house and I joined with them Christmas morning to open the care packages sent from friends and family back home. Gillian, the mom, even had stocking stuffers for my stocking! It wasn’t quite the same; no one videotaped me walking down the stairs in my pjs to open presents (thank God… I mean, I’m so sorry, Mom). It was the best gift to be able to wake up with a family on Christmas morning. That afternoon David and Sally Campton had me over for Christmas dinner, and I again got to spend time in a house full of family playing with their gifts and trying to fight the food coma that comes on so strongly after such a big meal. Again, not quite the Christmas afternoon I’m used to. Instead of watching White Christmas we watched the Dr. Who Christmas special. I’m still not sure what I watched for an hour, but it had something to do with time travel and alien creatures and clones. (For more info on Dr. Who, or to try to make sense of what I just talked about [good luck] go to: www.bbc.co.uk/drwho ) Christmas came after all, and instead of spending it sad and lonely I was surrounded by laughter and food and the best company you could hope for so far away from your family. I have never appreciated so much the hospitality and thoughtfulness I was shown around Christmas. This Christmas demonstrated what it means to be a part of a community and family that exists across borders and oceans, a family that I’m thankful and blessed to be a part of.

Merry Christmas (sorry it’s late!) and Happy 2010! And look for more regularly updated blogs from now on- it’s my 2010 resolution, and for once I’m going to stick to my new year’s resolution. Much peace and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment